Apr 26, 2019
The degree of Bachelor of Science in Education, with certification to teach music in the public schools, requires successful completion of 120 semester hours, including: (1) the General Education Program ; (2) the Professional Education Component; and (3) the requirements associated with the certification for Music PreK-Adult. Students must choose one concentration from instrumental, voice, keyboard or composition.
Professional Education Component
A 2.75 Grade Point Average required with a “C” or better in each course.
Content Specialization Requirements
A 2.50 Grade Point Average required with a “C” or better in each course.
- MUS 106 Music Theory I (3)
- MUS 106A Aural Theory I (1)
- MUS 107 Music Theory II (3)
- MUS 107A Aural Theory II (1)
- MUS 161 Class Piano I (1) *
- MUS 162 Class Piano II (1) *
- MUS 206 Music Theory III (3)
- MUS 206A Aural Theory III (1)
- MUS 301 Methods in Music Technology (3) **
- MUS 302 History and Analysis of Music I (3)
- MUS 303 Music Education I - General (3)
- MUS 304 Music Education II - Choral (3)
- MUS 305 Music Education III - Instrumental (3)
- MUS 306 History and Analysis of Music II (3)
- MUS 329 Music Theory IV: Scoring and Arranging (3)
- MUS 417 Conducting and Rehearsal Techniques (3) **
Applied Music Lessons (4 Credit Hours Total)
Students will complete four semesters of applied music from their chosen concentration area during the freshman and sophomore year. Applied lessons include:
- MUS 310 Applied Music, High Brass (1)
- MUS 312 Applied Music, Low Brass (1)
- MUS 317 Applied Music, Woodwinds (1)
- MUS 318 Applied Music, Percussion (1)
- MUS 321 Applied Music, Piano (1)
- MUS 322 Applied Music, Organ (1)
- MUS 323 Applied Music, Voice (1)
- MUS 324 Applied Music, Fretted Instruments (1)
- MUS 325 Applied Music, Carillon (1)
Major Ensemble (6 Credit Hours Total)
Participation in a major ensemble is required each semester enrolled during the freshman, sophomore, and junior year to satisfy the Music PreK-Adult teaching field option. Note: Students will satisfy the General Education Fine Arts requirement with three (3) credit hours of their major ensemble coursework.
- MUS 451 Collegiate Singers (1)
- MUS 453A Marching Band (1)
- MUS 453B Concert Band (1)
*Students who choose piano as their applied concentration are required to take two semesters of MUS 323, Applied Music, Voice.
**These courses fulfill the requirements of the Professional Education Component.