Aug 08, 2020
The degree of Bachelor of Science in Education, with certification to teach music in the public schools, requires successful completion of 120 semester hours, including: (1) the General Education Program ; (2) the Professional Education Component; and (3) the requirements associated with the certification for Music PreK-Adult. Students must choose one concentration from instrumental, voice, or keyboard.
Professional Education Component
A 2.75 Grade Point Average required with a “C” or better in each course.
Content Specialization Requirements
A 2.50 Grade Point Average required with a “C” or better in each course.
- MUS 106 Music Theory I (3)
- MUS 106A Aural Theory I (1)
- MUS 107 Music Theory II (3)
- MUS 107A Aural Theory II (1)
- MUS 161 Class Piano I (1) *
- MUS 162 Class Piano II (1) *
- MUS 206 Music Theory III (3)
- MUS 206A Aural Theory III (1)
- MUS 301 Methods in Music Technology (3)
- MUS 302 History and Analysis of Music I (3)
- MUS 303 Music Education I - General (3)
- MUS 304 Music Education II - Choral (3)
- MUS 305 Music Education III - Instrumental (3)
- MUS 306 History and Analysis of Music II (3)
- MUS 329 Music Theory IV: Scoring and Arranging (3)
- MUS 410 Conducting and Rehearsal Techniques (3)
Applied Music Lessons (4 Credit Hours Total)
Students will complete four semesters of applied music from their chosen concentration area during the freshman and sophomore year. Applied lessons include:
- MUS 310 Applied Music, High Brass (1)
- MUS 312 Applied Music, Low Brass (1)
- MUS 317 Applied Music, Woodwinds (1)
- MUS 318 Applied Music, Percussion (1)
- MUS 321 Applied Music, Piano (1)
- MUS 322 Applied Music, Organ (1)
- MUS 323 Applied Music, Voice (1)
- MUS 324 Applied Music, Fretted Instruments (1)
- MUS 325 Applied Music, Carillon (1)
Major Ensemble (6 Credit Hours Total)
Participation in a major ensemble is required each semester enrolled during the freshman, sophomore, and junior year to satisfy the Music PreK-Adult teaching field option. Note: Students will satisfy the General Education Fine Arts requirement with three (3) credit hours of their major ensemble coursework.
- MUS 451 Collegiate Singers (1)
- MUS 453A Marching Band (1)
- MUS 453B Concert Band (1)
*Students who choose piano as their applied concentration are required to take two semesters of MUS 323, Applied Music, Voice.