2021-2022 Academic Catalog June 1, 2021- May 31, 2022 
    May 29, 2024  
2021-2022 Academic Catalog June 1, 2021- May 31, 2022 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition, Fees and Expenses

Tuition and Fees 

Fees must be paid prior to the start of classes. To these should be added some allowance for the incidental cost of travel, books, mandatory institutional fees, parking permits, and other miscellaneous educational related expenses. Costs are subject to change.

With a signed agreement between the student and the Student Accounts Office, charges for tuition, mandatory institutional fees, room and board (meal plan), parking permits and campus post office box rentals, may be paid in monthly installments.  The initial installment payment must be equal to or greater than 25% of the outstanding balance after application of all financial aid.  Payments should be made for the fall semester during the months of July through October.  Payments should be made for the spring semester during the months of December through March.  A non-refundable one-time service fee of $50 will be added to the initial payment.  The election of the installment method of payment does not alter in any way the student's financial obligation.  A new monthly installment plan is required each semester.

Full-time Bluefield State College students may cross-register to attend classes for credit at Concord University without paying additional fees. These students must submit a paid receipt from Bluefield State College to the Concord Student Accounts Office during the regular registration period.




Academic Year 2021-2022
Fall 2021 - Second Summer 2022 Terms

Semester Hours In-State Out-of-State  
1 $339 $745  
2 $682 $1,490  
3 $1,017 $2,235  
4 $1,356 $2,980  
5 $1,695 $3,725  
6 $2,034 $4,470  
7 $2,373 $5,215  
8 $2.712 $5,960  
9 $3,051 $6,705  
10 $3,390 $7,450  
11 $3,729 $8,195  
12+ $4,065 $8,940  



Academic Year 2021-2022
Fall 2021 - Second Summer 2022 Terms

Semester Hours In-State Out-of-State Virtual Programs
1 $485 $846 $485
2 $970 $1,692 $970
3 $1,455 $2,538 $1,455
4 $1,940 $3,384 $1,940
5 $2,425 $4,230 $2,425
6 $2,910 $5,076 $2,910
7 $3,395 $5,922 $3,395
8 $3,880 $6,768 $3,880
9 $4,365 $7,615 $4,365




Academic Year 2021-2022
Fall 2021 - Second Summer 2022 Terms

Semester Hours Tuition     
1 $452    
2 $904    
3 $1,356    
4 $1,808    
5 $2,260    
6 $2,712    
7 $3,164    
8 $3,616    
9 $4,070    

 *The clinical faculty rate is designed for educators in Concord's eleven county service region which includes Fayette, Greenbrier, McDowell, Mercer, Monroe, Raleigh, Summers and Wyoming in the State of West Virginia and Bland, Giles and Tazewell in the State of Virginia. This rate only applies to educators admitted to the Master of Education program prior to the Fall 2019 term.

Out-of-State Tuition Reduction Programs

Concord University offers three Tuition Reduction Programs for eligible full-time, on-campus, out-of-state students.  Students approved for a Tuition Reduction Program will receive a $2,000 per semester discount on the above listed out-of-state undergraduate tuition and fees.  Application for any of the Tuition Reduction Programs can be made through the Office of Admissions.

  • Tuition Options Program Scholars (TOPS)

Student must be a first-time full-time freshman or transfer student, residing on campus, maintain a 2.0 GPA, and be in good standing with the University's judicial system. To qualify for TOPS, student must declare one of the selected programs of study. For the complete list of selected programs please contact the Office of Admissions.

  • Border Counties Program (BCP)

Student must be a first-time full-time freshman or transfer student, residing on campus, maintain a 2.0 GPA, and be in good standing with the University's judicial system. Parents or guardians must have a permanent residence in a selected county to qualify. For the complete list of counties please contact the Office of Admissions.

  • Children of Educator Tuition Reduction Program (CETR)

Student must be a first-time full-time freshman or transfer student, residing on campus, maintain a 2.0 GPA, and be in good standing with the University's judicial system. Parent(s) or guardian(s) must be employed as a public or private elementary or secondary educator in one of the 50 states.


Refunds will be given ONLY upon withdrawal from the institution.  A student withdrawing under disciplinary action forfeits all rights to a return of any portion of tuition, fees, room and board paid.  A student withdrawing should consult with their assigned academic advisor and representatives from the Center for Academic and Career Development (CACD), Financial Aid and Student Accounts Offices prior to withdrawing to review the academic and financial impact of a withdrawal.  Students can withdraw online through the CACD. 

The value of tuition, fees, room and board refunded to the student and the value of unearned financial aid due back from the student will be made based on the current institutional refund policy.  All refunds are calculated from the day scheduled as the first day of class whether it is a regular academic term (standard fall/spring term), summer term or non-traditional term (module term).  Module term refers to any term not in alignment with the traditional full semester course dates (i.e. mini courses, WVROCKS! Program, summer terms, etc.).  Any withdrawals after the completion of 60% of the term will be calculated at zero percent, except for dining charges; which are refunded on a per day basis through the entire semester.

In the event the University is closed, or normal operations are suspended, or certain services (including housing and dining) are suspended, or reduced by the President of the University or other duly constituted authority because of an emergency or other circumstances that may make such action appropriate, tuition and fees (including room and board) will not be refunded unless so directed by the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission or the Concord University Board of Governors, nor can the University assume any responsibility for any extra expenses which students or others may incur because of such action. 

Residence Status

Determination of residence status for the purpose of collecting fees will be made in keeping with the Series 25 of the Higher Education Policy Commission (Residency Classification for Determining Tuition and Fees). This statement of the Board, as revised, will be forwarded upon request. The complete document represents the legal basis for residence classification. The following extracts from Series 25 may serve as adequate guidelines.

Students enrolling in a West Virginia public institution of higher education shall be classified as resident or non-resident for admission, tuition, and fee purposes by the institutional officer designated by the President. The decision shall be based upon information furnished by the student and all other relevant information. The designated officer is authorized to require such written documents, affidavits, verifications, or other evidence as are deemed necessary to establish the domicile of a student. The burden of establishing residency for admission, tuition, and fee purposes is upon the student.

If there is a question as to residence, the matter must be brought to the attention of the designated officer at least two weeks prior to the deadline for the payment of tuition and fees. Any student found to have made a false or misleading statement concerning residence shall be subject to institutional disciplinary action and will be charged the non-resident fees for each academic term theretofore attended.

Domicile within the State means adoption of the State as the fixed permanent home and involves the personal residence within the State with no intent on the part of the applicant or, in the case of the dependent student, the applicant's parent(s) to return to another state or country. Residing with relatives (other than parent(s)/legal guardian) does not, in and of itself, cause the student to attain residence in the State for admission or fee payment purposes. West Virginia domicile may be established upon the completion of at least twelve months of continued residence within the State prior to the date of registration, provided that such twelve months' residency is not primarily for the purpose of attendance at any institution of higher education in West Virginia.

Establishment of West Virginia domicile with less than twelve months' residence prior to the date of registration must be supported by evidence of positive and unequivocal action. Priority consideration should normally be given to such evidence as the purchase of a West Virginia home, full-time employment within the State, paying West Virginia property tax, filing West Virginia income tax returns, registering of motor vehicles in West Virginia, and marriage to a West Virginia resident. Items of lesser importance which might be considered as support factors include registering to vote in West Virginia and the actual exercise of such right, possessing a valid West Virginia driver's license, transferring or establishing local church membership, involvement in local community activities, and various other acts which may give evidence of intent to remain indefinitely within the State. Proof of a number of these actions shall be considered only as evidence which may be used in determining whether or not a domicile has been established. Factors militating against the establishment of West Virginia residence might include such considerations as the student not being self-supporting, being claimed as a dependent on federal or state income tax returns or the parents' health insurance policy if the parents reside out of state, receiving financial assistance from state student aid programs in other states, and leaving the State when school is not in session.

A dependent student is one who is listed as a dependent on the federal or state tax return of his/her parents or legal guardian or who receives major financial support from that person. Such a student maintains the same residence as that of the parents or legal guardian. In the event the parents are divorced or legally separated, the dependent student takes the residence of the parent with whom he/she lives or to whom he/she has been assigned by court order. However, a dependent student who enrolls and is properly classified as a resident student maintains that classification as long as the enrollment is continuous and that student does not attain independence and establish domicile in another state.

A nonresident student who becomes independent while a student at an institution of higher education in West Virginia does not, by reason of such independence alone, attain residence in this State for admission or fee payment purposes.

A student who had been classified as an out-of-state resident and who seeks resident status in West Virginia must assume the burden of providing conclusive evidence that he/she has established domicile in West Virginia with the intention of making the permanent home in this State.

The intent to remain indefinitely in West Virginia is evidenced not only by a person's statements but also by that person's actions. In making a determination regarding a request for change in residence status, the designated institutional officer shall consider those actions referenced in the section above.

Veterans or Veteran dependents using military benefits should see Veteran Services  section of the CU Catalog.

An alien who is in the United States on a resident visa or who has filed a petition for naturalization in the naturalization court, and who has established a bona fide domicile in West Virginia as defined above, may be eligible for resident classification, provided that person is in the state for purposes other than to attempt to qualify for residency status as a student.

The decisions of the designated institutional officer charged with the determination of residence classification may be appealed to the President of the institution. The President may establish such committees and procedures as are determined to be appropriate for the processing of appeals. The decision of the residency committee may be appealed in writing with supporting documentation to the President of the institution.

Room and Board Costs

The costs for rooms and board are as follows:

Regular Semester in a Residence Hall: 2021-2022
Board $2,357
Double Room $2,365**
Single Room $3,131**
Triple Occupancy, each person $2,748**


Summer Term (5 Weeks) in a Residence Hall: 2021-2022
Board $786
Double Room $788**
Single Room $1,043**

Each occupant of a residence hall room must rent for the academic semester, such rental to be evidenced by a rental agreement signed by the student, and by the parent or guardian if the student is less than 18 years old.

Board is contracted for the academic semester, but no written agreement is required. Campus residents must participate in one of the board (dining) plans offered through the University's dining services; non-residence-hall students may purchase meals there at any time.

All residence halls and the dining services are closed during vacation periods, and such periods are not included in charges made to students; therefore, the University may use the facilities for other purposes during these times. The University will notify the students in advance if their rooms are to be vacated.

 ** Note: North Towers, South Towers, and Mill Street Apartment residents will be assessed an additional $229 Residential Capital Improvement Fee per semester for the 2021-2022 academic year.

Special Charges

  Advanced Standing Exam Fee $55
  Art Lab/Clay Fee (as applicable) $100
  Athletic Training Fee $100
  Business Major Accreditation Fee (Juniors and Seniors only) $50
  Class Fee $25
  Diploma Replacement Fee $50
  Directed Student Teaching Fee (per six credit hours) $50
  Distance Learning Fee (per credit hour) $35
  Electronic/Priority Transcript Fee $10
  Graduate Program Application Fee $30
  Graduation Fee $50
  Installment Plan Service Fee $50
  International Deposit (Includes Residence Hall Deposit) $150
  International New Student Fee $130
  Late Fee (begins the second day of classes) $25
  Late Graduation Fee (in addition to Graduation Fee) $20
  New Student Fee $85
  Parking Permit (per semester) $25
  Post Office Box Rental (per semester) $7.50
  ProEthica Assessment Fee (as applicable) $50
  Regents Bachelor of Arts (RBA) Degree per hour posting fee $10
  Regents Bachelor of Arts (RBA) Evaluation Fee $300
  Reinstatement Fee $200
  Rental Property Late Fee $20
  Residence Hall Damage Deposit $50
  Returned Check Fee $25
  Second Degree Fee $10
  Security Deposit on Rental Properties $225
  Social Work Field Practicum Fee $75
  Technology Fee (per credit hour) $6
  Transcript Fee (first transcript free) $5
  Tutorial Fee (as applicable) $125