Apr 11, 2021  
2011-13 Academic Catalog-Concord University 
2011-13 Academic Catalog-Concord University [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Residential Life


Concord University has six residence halls and two special housing facilities with a capacity of approximately 1,200 students. In keeping with Concord’s residential nature, student housing is operated as a close adjunct to its academic purposes.

All unmarried students of traditional age who do not reside with a parent/ guardian in that parent/guardian’s primary residence, and commute to classes are required to reside on campus in the University’s residence halls as long as space is available. Commuters are defined as either nontraditional or married students who live in the immediate area and drive to classes, or traditional age students who reside with their parent(s) or guardian(s) in their local primary place of residence not to exceed 45 minutes travel time from the University, as determined by MapQuest or Google Maps. All other students must reside on campus. In addition, all residential students are required to purchase one of three University provided board plans.

Exceptions to the on-campus housing policy stated above may be approved upon the presentation of justifiable reasons in accordance with the guidelines and procedures established by the Housing Committee. Requests for exceptions should be presented in writing to the Office of Housing and Residence Life no later than May 1 for both summer terms, no later than March 1 for the following fall semester, and no later than November 1 for the following spring semester. Submission of last minute off-campus housing requests should be avoided since registration will be delayed until consideration of the request is completed. In the event that all space in the residence halls becomes filled, residence hall assignments will go to the students who possess the fewest credits. Housing arrangements for all unmarried students, except those who commute from their parent’s home, must be approved by the Office of Housing and Residence Life prior to registration.

Providing false information (verbal or written) related to all off-campus housing requests, will subject the student to moving into the residence hall, and being held financially responsible for room and board payments for any period of enrollment for which false information was provided. Admission to the University does not assure a room reservation. Likewise, an application for a room does not constitute a successful admissions application. A room assignment is not a guarantee that the admission process is final.

Students applying for University housing for the first time or reapplying after previously withdrawing from University housing must submit a completed housing application (Room Reservation Form) and a $50.00 reservation fee to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. This housing application may be canceled, and the reservation fee refunded, if notification of the cancellation reaches the Office of Housing and Residence Life before June 30 for the fall semester, before December 21 for the spring semester, and at least ten days prior to the opening of summer session. Failure to notify by these dates will result in forfeiture of the fee under all circumstances. Applications submitted after these deadlines are automatically subject to forfeiture upon cancellation.

Continuing students who want to maintain housing for the next academic year are required to reserve housing by renewing their application at room sign-up held every March. The reservation fee will carry over to the next year if the balance after deduction of unpaid charges for items such as damages is more than one cent. If the balance of the fee becomes less than one cent, the student must submit a supplementary payment to return the balance of the reservation fee to $50.00.  The balance of the fee will be refunded if the student withdraws from University housing at the end of the spring semester without having a renewed application for the next year; subsequent submission of an application will necessitate payment of a new $50.00 reservation fee. A student may be entitled to a partial refund of room and board fees if he or she withdraws from housing during the semester; however, the reservation fee will be forfeited.