Oct 01, 2022  
2013-2014 Academic Catalog (August 2013 - July 2014) 
2013-2014 Academic Catalog (August 2013 - July 2014) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Policies and Procedures

Academic regulations exist to assure that the University maintains recognized standards as an institution of higher learning. The University accepts its obligation to offer programs of quality which are recognized nationally and internationally.

Admission to Concord University provides the student the opportunity to achieve a higher education that includes the development of skills, ideas, and attitudes.

The facilities and activities of the institution are dedicated to the task of providing the climate for learning. Regulations, goals, and practices must be observed to provide equal educational opportunities for all students.

Some of the University regulations are established by State legislation, by the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission, or by national agencies that accredit the University. Concord regulations are designed to augment the degree as a meaningful acknowledgment of a graduate’s educational achievement.


Academic Dishonesty

Academic dishonesty is morally unacceptable as well as destructive to the learning and teaching atmosphere. Academic dishonesty includes the giving or receiving of improper help on examinations or assignments, falsifying documents, and plagiarism (the act of stealing and using, as ones own, the ideas or the expression of the ideas of another). Such dishonesty can lead to a variety of penalties — including but not limited to failure of assignment, failure of course, loss of institutional privileges, or dismissal from the University.

A failing course grade as a result of academic dishonesty will be recorded as an F on the final grade report, and the instructor will inform, in writing, the division chair and the Vice President/Academic Dean who notifies, in writing, the Registrar’s Office and the student. Course grades affected by academic dishonesty are not subject to the D/F forgiveness rule described below, and a student who is to receive a failing grade due to proven academic dishonesty may not drop the failed course with a grade of W. (See Grade Change Procedure)

Any recommendation by the instructor beyond an F in the course must be submitted, in writing, to the student, to the division chair, and to the Vice President/Academic Dean for transmittal to the Judicial Steering Committee which will then initiate a judicial procedure.

Any failing course grade or dismissal that results solely from academic dishonesty will be identified as such on the student transcript.

Academic Exceptions

Any exception to the academic regulations that apply to students at Concord University, including the requirements of the course of study for a particular degree, must be requested in writing. Deviation from established academic guidelines is considered to weaken the force of the regulations, is unfair to the students who are held to that particular requirement, and detracts from the academic reputation of the University and its degrees. Thus, substantial evidence from the student must be submitted. Exceptions will not be approved without significant, convincing evidence that a variance is justified.

The Vice President/Academic Dean reviews these requests for academic exception with input from the student’s academic adviser and department and division chairs.

The President of the University or a committee of the faculty occasionally may grant a hearing in appeal of a decision made by the Vice President/Academic Dean, if requested in writing by the student.

Students will not be allowed to withdraw from a class with an exception in order to avoid earning a poor grade.

Academic Probation

A student may be permitted to remain in the University for a limited period and with certain program restrictions if they have failed to meet minimum standards of satisfactory scholarship as set by the Faculty.

The maximum quality-point deficit permitted to avoid academic probation or to be removed from academic probation is based upon the number of hours passed according to the following scale:

Hours Passed Permitted Deficit  
0-59 9  
60-89 6  
90-112 3  
113 or more 0  

Transfer students will not be admitted if deficient by twenty or more quality points in their work at previously attended institutions. Any student on academic probation at the university previously attended will be assigned a probationary status for the first period of attendance at Concord, regardless of quality point standing.

Once a student is enrolled at Concord, only grades earned at Concord may count toward removal from academic probation.

After being placed on academic probation, a student must maintain in the following semester or summer session (courses taken between the Spring and Fall semesters) a G.P.A. of at least 2.0, or reduce the quality point deficit equal to or below the maximum permitted on the above scale, to prevent suspension.

Each session or semester on probation following the first, a full-time student must maintain a grade point average of better than a 2.0, and a part-time student must earn at least a 2.0 average or reduce the quality point deficit equal to or below the maximum permitted on the preceding scale, to prevent suspension.

For the purpose of calculation of academic standing, any student who attempts at least eight hours during the summer will be considered a full-time student.

A student on academic probation cannot enroll for more than thirteen hours in a semester or for more than six hours in a summer term. A student on academic probation is advised to follow the normal pattern of courses in his or her curriculum. Avoidance of required courses to take classes which have little relevance to the program, except for the quality points to be earned, will be considered in any review of the student’s record.

A student on academic probation is not permitted to take work at another institution for transfer to Concord, and excess quality points earned at other institutions may not be used to make up a quality point deficit incurred at Concord.

Removal from academic probation requires reduction of the quality point deficit for hours passed as indicated on the preceding scale. If this is not accomplished (except under conditions described above), the result is academic suspension. The student may appeal an academic suspension to the Committee on Academic Standards.

Academic Suspension

The first period of academic suspension is one fall or spring semester. A student suspended at the end of the spring semester may not attend the following summer session. A student suspended for academic reasons may reenter on academic probation at the end of his or her period of suspension. Following an academic suspension period, a readmitted student must maintain a grade point average of better than 2.0 for each semester or summer session while on probation if he or she is classified full-time or earn at least a 2.0 average if enrolled as a part-time student. If these standards are not met, the second period of academic suspension shall consist of one academic year. If a student is suspended for academic reasons a third time, the suspension shall continue until such time as the student is readmitted upon appeal to the Committee on Academic Standards. Students will be obligated to present compelling evidence in writing to indicate that their chances of academic success have improved. Concord honors academic suspension applied by other institutions; application for admission of a student so suspended will not be considered until the period of suspension at the previous institution has expired, and that suspension will be treated as a prior suspension at Concord if he or she is admitted. All state-supported colleges and universities in West Virginia are required to honor each others academic suspensions.

Adding and Dropping Courses

Students may not add a class that has already met for a total of four instructional hours, or after the beginning of the second instructional week of the class, whichever comes first. Forms for adding courses can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office. Students fill out the form, obtain approval of their academic adviser and the instructors of the courses involved, and return the completed form to the Registrar’s Office.

Classes may be dropped by filling out the form obtained in the Registrar’s Office. Courses dropped will not appear on the student’s transcript, provided the course(s) are dropped by the end of the fifth instructional day of a semester or the third instructional day of a summer term.

The deadline for dropping classes with the grade of W will be the end of the ninth instructional week of a semester long course. Courses conducted over a period of time less than a full semester may be dropped up to the third class meeting. The deadline for dropping during a summer term will be based on the same ratio as the ninth week of a regular semester.

A student dismissed from class for disruptive behavior will receive a grade of F and may not subsequently withdraw from the class. Each student who remains enrolled in the course past any of the above deadlines must be assigned a grade from the following: A, B, C, D, F, I, or P.

A student who does not attend the first session of a class for which there is a waiting list may be dropped from the class.

Affirmative Action and Non-discrimination Policies

Affirmative Action

The Concord University Affirmative Action Officer actively monitors affirmative action in compliance with Title IX of the Education Act and 75-50 of the Internal Revenue Code. The Affirmative Action Office is in Marsh Hall, Room 326. Concord is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All prospective and current members of the student body, faculty, and staff are afforded equal opportunity on the basis of individual qualifications and merit without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or disability as identified and defined by regulations and law. The University neither affiliates knowingly with nor grants recognition to any individual, group, or organization having policies that discriminate on these bases. The University’s Board of Governor’s has passed an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Policy. It is Board of Governors’ Policy No. 47 and can be found at http://www.concord.edu/administration/board-governors/policies. The University is in compliance with Federal Executive Order 11246 as amended, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the West Virginia Human Rights Act, Title IX (Educational Amendments of 1972), Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable laws and regulations. For complaints or concerns relating to Title IX, please see the Concord University Student Handbook for policies and protocols, or request copies from the Office of Student Affairs.


The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or disability as identified and defined by regulations and law, in the administration of admissions, educational policies, curriculum, the selection of textbooks, scholarship and loan programs, athletic opportunities, and employment.

Sexual Harassment

It is the policy of Concord University that sexual harassment in any form will not be tolerated. The University herein affirms that employees have a right to work and students have a right to study in a positive atmosphere free from sexual harassment and abuse.

To that end, Concord University has adopted a Sexual Harassment Policy which gives the definition of harassment and outlines the procedures to follow in the event a student or employee believes harassment is occurring or has occurred. Copies of the entire policy are available from faculty advisers, administrative offices, residence hall directors, the Office of Housing and Student Residential Life, the Office of Public Safety, the Office of the Vice President/Academic Dean, the President’s Office, and the Office of Human Resources. It also may be found as Policy No. 37 at http://www.concord.edu/administration/boardgovernors/policies.

Amending Information

While every effort is made to assure accuracy at the time of printing, Concord University reserves the right to delete, change, or amend the information in this Catalog as necessary.

It is the student’s responsibility to realize and comply with current University policies.

Licensure and accreditation regulations may require additional non-published admission requirements in some certificate programs. Candidates in these programs must familiarize themselves with the current admission requirements of the Division which administers these programs.

Applicable Catalog

Students entering Concord University shall follow the curriculum provisions and degree requirements of the Catalog at the time of first registration, unless the provisions of a later Catalog seem more appropriate and they choose, with the advice of an adviser and with notification to the Registrar’s Office, to follow the later Catalog. A student may not select part of a program from one Catalog and part from another.

Certain new regulations may become effective, regardless of when the student first enrolled at Concord. Students will be notified of these changes and are responsible to meet new requirements.

Students enrolled under previous catalogs must follow the latest catalog regulations under these circumstances:

If a student completes less than six semester hours during any one academic year, calculating from one fall registration to the next, he or she becomes subject to the provisions of the latest Catalog.

If there are changes in major or minor fields or in teaching options within teacher education, the latest requirements for that major or minor or teaching option must be met.

If a student changes from one degree program to another, all requirements for the newly-selected degree, as set forth in the latest Catalog, must be met.

Academic advisers will assist in clarifying the requirements and the choices in courses of study, as well as assist with the scheduling of each semester’s work. The Registrar’s Office, upon request, will inform a student of the state of the requirements which have been met toward a declared objective and those requirements which remain to be met. A student should request a progression sheet from the Registrar’s Office as soon as having attained junior standing (60 credit hours). A student can view his or her transcript and registration at any time through Concord’s student records system (MyCU).

The staff in the Office of Career Services and Student Affairs will confer with students about career questions or personal problems which may be affecting their college work. No one, however, will or can take responsibility for student performance. This responsibility is that of the student alone.

Students should be familiar with the following rules that govern academic work.

Auditing Classes

Students enrolled in the University may audit courses upon authorization of the Registrar and the instructors concerned. Once the student has enrolled in a particular course, the student may not change status in that course, during the semester, from audit to credit, or from credit to audit, without the consent of the instructor. The deadline for changing status to audit is the same as dropping a course with a grade of W. Audit courses that are not completed will not be recorded on the student’s transcript. Regularly enrolled students may not audit classes which, if taken for credit, would constitute excess semester hours, unless authorized by the Vice President/Academic Dean.

Classification of Students

Students are classified according to the number of semester hours successfully completed.

Freshman 0 to 29 hours
Sophomore 30 to 59 hours
Junior 60 to 89 hours
Senior 90 hours or more

A “regular full-time student” is any student seeking a degree who is enrolled for twelve or more hours. A student who is seeking a degree, but who is enrolled for less than twelve hours, is classified as a “part-time student.” The term “non-matriculating student” applies to those who are not seeking a degree . The following policies on academic standards and academic standing apply to all three categories of students:

Semester Hour Load

Classification as a full-time student requires enrollment in at least twelve semester hours of courses each semester, or at least four semester hours each summer term.

The maximum permissible course load each semester is as follows:

  1. thirteen hours for those students who are on academic probation;
  2. eighteen hours for incoming freshmen, returning students who are not on academic probation and who have a grade average of less than 3.00, and, transfer students in good standing.
  3. twenty-one hours for those students who have a grade average of 3.00 or greater.

Students must file an academic exception to request more than twenty-one hours per term.

The maximum permissible course load for each of the two terms of the summer session is as follows:

  1. six hours for those students who are on academic probation;
  2. seven hours for all students who are not on academic probation.

Students must file an academic exception to request more than seven hours per summer term.

Class Attendance

Regular class attendance is part of a student’s academic obligation at Concord.  Irregular attendance may affect academic performance adversely and is detrimental to the atmosphere of a class.

Illness or other compelling reasons occasionally may make it necessary for a student to be absent from class.  When a student cannot attend a class or laboratory, the student is obliged to notify each instructor involved as soon as possible and provide  an appropriate explanation.  The student must take the initiative both in providing adequate explanation and in satisfying the class attendance policy.

Note:  Extended absence, as the result of illness or other compelling reasons, should be reported to the Office of Student Affairs.

The instructor has considerable discretion with regard to attendance policy.  It is imperative that students attend the first class meeting.  If an instructor has a waiting list and any student does not attend the first class meeting, the student may be dropped from the roll to provide room for students waiting to add the course.  Instructors typically use the first day to establish class policies and orient students to the course.

Absence from class for University approved functions poses a special problem.  Any absence means that a learning situation has been missed.  The lost learning experience may result in reduced performance on exams or in other testing situations.  In choosing to participate in University activities, a student should carefully consider the possible impact of the absence on grades and academic standing in the class.  However, the University does not wish to prohibit student participation in approved activities.  Therefore, instructors are required to excuse the physical absence if the student has notified the instructor and arranged for any compensation work prior to the absence.  The student is responsible for contact instructor(s) to determine how far in advance of the absence such notification and arrangements must be made.

Note:  The activity leader must distribute printed lists of participants.  These lists are for the instructor’s information only.  Such a list does not alter the student’s responsibility as explained in the previous paragraph.

After appropriate warning and notification to the Office of Student Affairs, an instructor may drop a student with irregular or non-attendance if the instructor has not received a satisfactory explanation form the student.  A written notification to the department or division chairperson and the Vice President-Academic Dean is also required.  The grade recorded in cases of dismissal for irregular and for non-attendance is a W.

When a student is withdrawn in this manner from all of his or her courses, he or she is no longer classified as a student, and therefore, is not eligible to reside in the residence has or to receive financial aid.

A student who stopped attending classes in a previous semester and consequently received grades of F may request an academic exception to have the Fs changed to Ws.  For instructions on completing an academic exception, please see the policy on Academic Exceptions  .

Classroom Conduct

In classrooms, laboratories, and during any activities that are part of course requirements, students are expected to observe reasonable rules of conduct. Questions and discussions in class on the subject matter of a course will be accepted by any Concord instructor as a proper part of a university course, limited only by allotted time.

Students also are encouraged to consult instructors individually when necessary, either about the subject matter of the course or about their work in the course.

Disruptive behavior in the classroom will not be tolerated. If student conduct makes it difficult to continue the class satisfactorily, the instructor may warn the student of this fact. If objectionable conduct continues, the instructor may dismiss the student from the course with written notification of this action to the department or division chairperson and the Vice President /Academic Dean. Any appeal from such decision must be made to these, beginning with the classroom instructor. The grade recorded in cases of dismissal for conduct is an F.

A student suspended or expelled from the University for unacceptable conduct outside of the classroom shall have a grade of W recorded permanently for all course work during the semester of the suspension or expulsion.

D and F Forgiveness Rule

If a student earns a D or F on any course taken no later than the semester or summer term during which the student attempts the sixtieth semester hour, and if the course is repeated prior to the receipt of a bachelor’s degree, the original grade shall be negated and the grade(s) earned when the course is repeated shall be used in determining his or her grade average. However, the original grade shall not be deleted from the student’s record.

In cases of grades of F involving academic dishonesty or disruptive behavior, the Forgiveness Rule is not applicable.

Final Grades

Final grades are issued from the Registrar’s Office. Public posting of grades is a violation of the federal statutes concerning individual rights of privacy and is prohibited. A numbering system intended to protect the individual student’s identity may be used to post student grades.

A grade reported by an instructor to the Registrar’s Office will not be changed except to correct a demonstrable computational error. Approval of the Vice President/Academic Dean and the divisional chairperson is necessary before a grade can be changed.

All questions about a grade in any course should be taken first to the instructor of that course. It is more useful to request such conferences during the course than after it is over. After full discussion with the instructor, if the question remains, the next step is to consult the chairperson of the department or division in which the course is offered.

Appeals concerning grades which students consider to be prejudiced or capricious may be made to the department or division chairperson with final appeal to the Vice President/Academic Dean.

Students who repeat coursework should note: the original grade shall be negated and the grade(s) earned when the class is repeated shall be used in determining his or her grade average. All grades, however, will remain on the official transcript, even when a course is repeated and a subsequent grade is used to compute the grade average.

Grade Change Procedure (Academic)

A student has a right to complain if convinced that an academic matter or faculty action is unfair or inappropriate to the generally recognized standards of academic freedom and license. When such a complaint is made, the obligation of proving the validity of the case falls upon the person making the complaint. Note that complaints regarding grades received on other than academic grounds must follow the Grade Change Procedure (Non-Academic).

Initially, a student should discuss the complaint with the academic adviser for purposes of guidance and counseling. Whenever possible and appropriate, the student complaining should then work with the faculty member to whom the complaining is addressed. If the issue is not resolved in a satisfactory manner at this level, a written complaint may be brought to the department and/or division chairperson with whatever argumentation and evidence is available. If the student is dissatisfied with the disposition of the problem on this level, the written complaint, with whatever argumentation and evidence is available, may be taken to the Vice President/Academic Dean. Following appropriate investigation of the complaint, the Vice President/Academic Dean will notify all directly involved parties of the decision for final resolution of the matter.

Grade Change Procedure (Non-Academic)

A student has a right to complain if convinced that a grade was unfairly assigned because it was given on other than academic grounds which were not legitimate and pertinent to an academic situation. For example, if a student is convinced that a grade was given because of prejudice (sexual, racial, political, cultural, etc.), this may constitute grounds for a complaint. If such a complaint is made, the obligation of proving the validity of the case falls upon the person making the complaint. The faculty member, as academic decision maker, is assumed to be innocent unless a case is made to prove that the grade was improperly assigned.

A student complaint of this nature should be made first to the faculty member to whom the complaint is addressed. If the issue is not resolved in a satisfactory manner, a written complaint may be brought to the division chairperson with whatever argumentation and evidence is available. The complaint must be registered soon enough to allow completion of the appeal procedure; that is, no later than one regular semester after the grade was given. The student should allow two weeks at each level for the adjudicator’s study of the situation. If the chairperson deems the complaint merits consideration, the chairperson may further investigate the situation, consult with the faculty member and with any other appropriate sources. If the chairperson feels a persuasive case has been made, a recommendation will be made to the faculty member concerning the grade. If the case is not persuasive, the chairperson will reject the student appeal.

If the student is not satisfied by the disposition of the appeal on this level, a written appeal may be made to the Vice President and Academic Dean. On receipt, the Vice President and Academic Dean will send the appeal to a Faculty Committee consisting of one faculty member elected from each division and the Chief Justice of the Student Hearing Board. It should be clearly understood that the purpose of this committee is to evaluate the validity of the student’s claim that the grade was not given on academic grounds. It is not the purpose of this committee to evaluate academic standards, or in any way intrude on the autonomy of the instructor in defining the academic content or procedures of his or her course. This committee will receive the complaint and hold an initial meeting to determine if there appears to be sufficient merit in the accusation to warrant holding full hearings. If the decision is negative, the appeal is rejected. If the decision is affirmative, the student is then invited to present the case to the Committee, using argumentation, evidence, witnesses, etc. in a reasonable procedure, such as used by the Faculty Grievance and Hearing Committees. The burden of making the case falls upon the student. The Committee will, as a matter of course, consult with and question the faculty member who has a right to attend the proceedings and respond to the accusation(s). Colleagues in the discipline should be consulted concerning academic questions should they arise.

The Committee shall pursue any additional evidence or information it regards as necessary and pertinent. After evaluation of the case, the Committee shall come to a finding by a majority vote. Should the Committee find that a majority has not been persuaded of the impropriety of the grade, the student appeal is rejected and the Vice President and Academic Dean is so notified. The Vice President and Academic Dean will then inform the student. Should a majority of the Committee be persuaded that the student has shown the grade to be improperly given (not on the basis of legitimate academic factors) then the Committee will, after consultation with the appropriate faculty members, make a recommendation to the Vice President and Academic Dean as to the appropriate grade. If the Vice President and Academic Dean concurs with the Committee’s recommendations for a grade change, the Academic Dean will transmit the new grade to the Office of the Registrar and will notify all parties concerned.

Inadequate Proficiency in English

In all academic work, students are expected to use standard English in written and oral communication. An instructor from any division who finds the work of a student seriously deficient in English skills may refer the student to the Chairperson of the Division of Languages and Literature. The Chairperson, after evaluation of the referred student, may require additional work of that student without credit.

Inclement Weather Schedule 

  Monday/Wednesday/Friday Classes   Tuesday/Thursday Classes  
  Regular Inclement   Regular Inclement  
  8:00-8:50 10:00-10:40   8:00-9:15 10:00-11:00  
  9:00-9:50 10:45-11:25   9:30-10:45 11:05-12:05  
  10:00-10:50 11:30-12:10   11:00-12:15 12:10-1:10  
  11:00-11:50 12:15-12:55   12:30-1:45 1:15-2:15  
  12:00-12:50 1:00-1:40   2:00-3:15 2:20-3:20  
  1:00-1:50 1:45-2:25   3:30-4:45 3:25-4:25  
  2:00-2:50 2:30-3:10        
  3:00-3:50 3:15-3:55        

Office of Disability Services

The Disabilities Services program is designed to provide the supportive environment necessary for students to achieve their academic goals. This office provides reasonable educational accommodations, advocates for an accessible learning environment and promotes self-advocacy and responsibility on the part of the students which it serves.

Students with disabilities have rights granted by two civil rights laws. These laws are the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Basically, these laws provide students with the following rights:

  • Equal access to post-secondary education
  • Non-discrimination
  • Appropriate and reasonable accommodations based on each student’s individual disability and how it affects learning and
  • The right to have information about the student’s disability kept confidential.

Student Responsibilities

The responsibility to disclose your disability

The responsibility to provide the Office of Disability Services with adequate documentation of your disability

The responsibility to meet with the Disability Services Coordinator at the beginning of each semester to set up appropriate accommodations

The responsibility to meet the academic and conduct standards in place at Concord University


Are defined as a change in how things are usually done, and may be granted to a student with a disability if that disability affects his/her functioning

Provide students with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate in school

Must be appropriate and effective for each individual

Cannot fundamentally alter a program or course

Cannot lower or change the academic or conduct standards of Concord University

Cannot cause an undue burden

Will not be provided without adequate documentation

The Letter of Accommodation Process

Any Concord University student who (1) discloses a disability to the Disability Services Coordinator, (2) presents adequate documentation of the disability and requests accommodations that are appropriate for the effects of the disability, will receive a letter of accommodation. The Disability Services Coordinator writes the letter of accommodation which states the necessary accommodations for each course. The letter of accommodation does not state what disability the student has. When the student is requesting accommodations that involve the instructor or the classroom setting, the student must share a copy of the letter of accommodation with the instructor for the accommodations to be implemented. For example, if the student has an approved accommodation of extended test time, the instructor will not be able to provide extended test time without a copy of the letter of accommodation.

Quality Points

Academic standing at Concord University is computed in terms of quality points accumulated. Each grade received carries a quality-point equivalent as follows:

4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0

I, P, and W grades do not affect the grade point average. (See Withdrawal from the University)

The quality-point value must be multiplied by the number of semester hours of credit a course carries to compute the quality points earned in the course. For example, a three-hour course in which a grade of B is earned will yield nine quality points in that course; if a D is received, only three quality points will have been earned.

Each semester, a grade report is available to the student showing the number of course hours attempted, the number of hours passed, and the number of quality points earned. The student should make a frequent assessment of his or her quality-point status using the following method:

The grade of C, which is required for graduation, yields two quality points for each hour’s credit. Therefore, multiplying the total hours attempted by two (quality points) will yield the required number of quality points. By comparing this figure with the actual quality points earned, as shown on the grade report, a student can determine his or her status.

So long as a student maintains a C or better average at Concord (this means that there is no quality-point deficit), the student is in good academic standing.

Students are advised to check academic standing with ELLIE each semester.

Residence Credit

A candidate for a degree from Concord University must have earned a minimum of 36 semester hours of credit while in residence. Sixteen of the last 32 semester hours of study previous to graduation must be done in residence at this University. For students completing three years in the pre-medical, pre-dental, or pre-law curricula, 16 of the last 32 semester hours of study previous to entering professional training must be done in residence. At least nine semester hours credit for courses required for a major, minor, concentration, or teaching field (or specialization) must be earned in residence here. These courses are to be upper division courses, or in some instances, for elementary education specializations, courses designated by the appropriate department chairperson.

Residency Status and Out-of-State Academic Programs

The one exception to residency status for in-state fee purposes is that of individuals approved for enrollment through the Academic Common Market. Currently, the only Academic Common Market program on the Concord campus involves Recreation and Tourism Management majors from the state of Arkansas.

West Virginia residents seeking designated majors not available within West Virginia may be able to attend participating colleges or universities outside the state and pay in-state student fees through the Academic Common Market or other contract programs. Further information is obtainable through the Registrar’s Office or the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission.

The Grading System

Instructors will indicate how they arrive at the particular letter grades, and they will be willing to inform students about the components of the final grade.




D—Below average; lowest passing grade




W—Withdrew: no penalty

*—Course not counted in hours earned

‘—Course not counted toward graduation credit or grade point average

H—Honors designation (to accompany grades of A or B where appropriate)

If a student fails to fulfill a small number of requirements of a course because of illness or an equally compelling reason, a final grade of I may be requested. If the reason is acceptable, and a make-up possible, the instructor will report the grade as incomplete. An instructor who gives an grade of incomplete will furnish to the Registrar’s Office a statement of the reason for which the grade was assigned and of the requirements to be completed; a copy of this statement will be given by the instructor to the student.

If the student does not enroll again for a five-year period, the I grade will automatically revert to an F unless otherwise specified by the instructor. If a student does enroll within that time (or immediately following a 5-year absence) the grade must be completed in the first 30 class days of the semester of return or it will revert to an F unless otherwise specified by the instructor.

In the calculation of grade averages, incomplete grades receive no quality points or semester hours for the course in which the incomplete grade was assigned. When an incomplete grade is removed within the allowable time, quality points appropriate for the grade received are awarded and the credit hours for the course are included when a new grade average is computed. A student’s record will not be clear until the Registrar’s Office receives notice from the instructor to change the I to another grade. Nevertheless, it is the responsibility of a student to take the initiative to see that the grade is reported. Courses may not be repeated in which the student has obtained a grade of B or better with the exception of certain workshops, music courses, etc.

Transfer Credit

The determination of acceptable transfer credit is made by the University after review of the courses offered for transfer and consideration of which of these are equivalent to Concord courses and which may be counted only for elective credit. Grades for all work transferred are recorded as earned. Transfer students should submit other institutions’ transcripts at the earliest possible date so that the Concord evaluation of the transfer can be made. Although all credits from regionally accredited junior colleges in college parallel courses are accepted (provided none of the credit was acquired after the student gained junior standing at a four-year college), a maximum of seventy-two semester hours is applicable toward the 120 semester hours required for graduation. Thus, a minimum of 56 semester hours must be completed at a baccalaureate institution. Credit from one of the three following sources is acceptable for transfer to Concord University: a regionally accredited institution; the Army American Council on Education Registry Transcript Systems (AARTS); and, the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). Credit from other sources must receive special permission to be transferred to Concord University. Students transferring from two-year institutions must complete, at Concord, a minimum of fifteen semester hours in the major or teaching field. After transferring, a student must maintain a 2.00 grade average in all courses taken at Concord. Once a student has been admitted to Concord as a transfer student, transfer credit will be accepted only for courses for which prior permission is obtained.

Students who transfer from one college or university in the West Virginia higher education system to another may transfer core coursework, which will count toward fulfillment of General Studies requirements at the receiving institution, under provisions of a Core Coursework Transfer Agreement. This assures the transfer of courses for General Studies credit for any of the courses listed in the agreement and does not limit the number of hours credit that a student may transfer in General Studies. The Registrar’s Office may provide further details and listings of courses from West Virginia state-assisted institutions affected by this agreement. 

Transient Credit

Once enrolled, it is expected that a Concord student will do most of his or her course work at Concord. However, students may apply for permission to take work at another regionally-accredited institution. Application must be made in writing to the Registrar, stating the institution, the reason for requesting the work there, and whether the work will be on its campus, on-line, by extension, or by correspondence. The request must include the departmental designation of the course, its number, descriptive title, and credit designation, as listed in the catalog of that institution.

Transient forms are available through the Registrar’s Office.

Credit will not be granted for courses taken elsewhere unless permission is granted in advance. Good academic standing (2.0 grade point average) is required for permission to study at another institution.

Permission to take courses elsewhere is not given for any course already taken at Concord, or for certain basic courses required in the student’s program of study, without prior approval by the student’s major department. Once a student has attained junior standing at Concord, courses may not be taken at a community college for transfer to Concord University.

Concord University cannot assume any responsibility for the transmittal of official notice of completion of courses at other institutions. Students depending upon correspondence credits to complete their graduation requirements are cautioned that Concord has no control over delays which may occur in the grading of correspondence assignments and in the sending of another institution’s official transcripts of final grades to the Concord Registrar’s Office.

The Registrar and the Vice President/Academic Dean review transient requests.

Weather Policy

As a general policy the University will remain in normal operation during adverse weather conditions. In the event of severe weather conditions, the President may

  1. place classes on inclement weather schedule;
  2. cancel classes before the end of the class day;
  3. cancel classes for an entire day or days;
  4. close the University with notification to the Chancellor of the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission.

Individual instructors will establish inclement weather meeting times if a class does not meet at one of the regular times noted above.

The Director of the Beckley Center will determine the status of off-campus classes in Raleigh County. If a decision to cancel classes is made, the media, faculty, and appropriate University offices will be notified.

The late schedule affects classes only. Other University operations are expected to follow normal routines, although the University encourages its employees to use discretion to ensure safety in traveling on weather-affected roadways. The University urges individuals to use their own best judgment in making a decision to commute or not to the campus in adverse or severe weather conditions.

Concord faculty are urged to make attendance policy considerations for the difficulties some commuting students may encounter due to weather conditions and provide opportunities to make up missed work. Students have an obligation to make every safe effort to attend classes, to initiate arrangements for making up missed work, and to understand the occasional commuting difficulties of faculty.

Announcements invoking the late schedule or other options referenced above are aired on area radio and television stations and are sent as text and email messages to those enrolled for this service.

Take note that unless a cancellation announcement is made, classes will be held.

Withdrawal from the University

To withdraw from the University the student must obtain withdrawal forms from the Academic Success Center.

A student withdrawing from the University during any semester or summer term will be given grades of W in all courses provided that the student has completed withdrawal procedures prior to the beginning of the last week of classes for that semester or term. In summer terms only, no grade will appear on his or her transcript, provided the withdrawal is made before the end of the second instructional day. If withdrawal is completed after these deadlines, one of the following grades will be assigned in each course in which the student was enrolled: A, B, C, D, F, I, or P.

A student dismissed from class for disruptive behavior will receive a grade of F and may not subsequently withdraw from the class.