2020-2021 Academic Catalog (August 2020 - July 2021) 
    May 29, 2024  
2020-2021 Academic Catalog (August 2020 - July 2021) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admission to the University


Concord University welcomes applications from students who are willing to work conscientiously and regard the opportunity to attend a university as a serious challenge. Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications 60 days prior to the semester in which they are to enroll. Prospective students are encouraged to visit the campus. Visits to the campus can be arranged by going to www.concord.edu/visit.

Advanced Admissions

High school students may be granted provisional admission to the University and be granted permission to enroll for full-time study without completing the normal high school program. Applicants in this category will be expected to fulfill the following qualifications:

At least a senior classification (completed at least 12 units in the college preparatory curriculum);

Grade point average and an ACT or comparable SAT score which yield a prediction factor indicating that each student has at least a seventy percent chance of earning a C or higher at Concord; and

Written recommendation of the high school principal or counselor.

Advanced Placement

West Virginia's system of higher education has implemented policies that enable students who have successfully completed any advanced placement exams to receive credit at Concord. Provisions of the policies include:

  1. High school students completing Advanced Placement Examinations of The College Board with a minimum score of 3 will receive appropriate examination course credit at any institution in the public higher education system in West Virginia;
  2. When the examination is in the area of the student's major, the institution will award credit toward the major or core curriculum

Listings of awards of advanced placement credit, minimum scores, number of credits awarded, and available course equivalents for each institution in West Virginia's Higher Education System are available in the Office of the Registrar.

Credits are awarded after an official report is received and the student enrolls in the receiving institution. 

High School Students 

Concord University is authorized to allow talented and superior high school students to earn university credits prior to their graduation from high school. Credits will count to a Concord degree or the University will forward, upon request, transcripts to other colleges or universities.

Students who intend to continue their high school programs may seek conditional admission and request permission to enroll in university courses either during one or both summer terms or during the academic year.

High school students may enroll during the summer for a load of no more than seven hours each term.

Qualifications for this program include the following criteria:

  1. Completion of at least the sophomore year (8 units in the college preparatory curriculum) of high school;
  2. A grade average of 3.00 or better in all academic subjects completed in high school; and
  3. Recommendation of the high school principal or counselor.

High school students enrolling during the academic year, thus combining high school and university study, may enroll for no more than twelve hours each semester, depending upon the total student load. Qualifications for this program are as follows:

     a. Completion of at least the sophomore year (8 units in the college preparatory curriculum of high school;
     b. Grade average of 3.00 or better in all academic subjects completed in high school; and,
     c. Written recommendation of the high school principal or counselor.

Home School Students

Home school students are welcome at Concord and must meet the same admissions criteria as regular undergraduate students.

International Students

Concord University considers qualified applicants from schools and colleges located outside the United States. International students may be admitted if they have earned a certificate of completion that enables the student to be admitted to a university in their home country. Students enrolling in a degree seeking program must demonstrate English proficiency.

All freshman international applicants, are required to take the tests found here and submit the following:

         a. High school transcripts; if the student has attended a previous college or university (higher education), official transcripts in English must be provided by the college or university.
         b. Documentation that indicates the student can meet the financial responsibilities during the period of time they expect to be in residence including an affidavit of financial support, current bank statement, and employer statement.
         c. An official copy of immunization record.

Transfer students with more than 24 hours transferring are not required to submit the high school transcripts or ACT/SAT scores. All other documentation is required. If the applicant attended a college or university outside the United States, a course by course evaluation in English must be submitted.

Concord offers an ESL (English as a Second Language) program for students scoring less than the minimum score on the pdt TOEFL or international students who do not have an SAT score. An international applicant must pass the Concord ESL requirements and attain a pbt TOEFL score of at least 500 before being permitted to matriculate as a full-time, regularly-admitted student. With the permission of the Concord University ESL Administrator, an international student with a TOEFL score of at least 480 may be permitted to take up to six (6) hours of Concord University coursework concurrent with enrollment in the ESL Program. 

Non-Degree Students

Concord does admit students on a non-degree basis. By definition, a non-degree student is not seeking a certificate or degree. Such students must complete an application process to be defined by the University.

A non-degree student wishing to take courses which have prerequisites must provide official transcripts showing they meet the prerequisites.

Should a non-degree student wish to change his or her student status by matriculating into a certificate or degree program at Concord University, all applicable admission criteria must be met, including transcripts, GED, and ACT or SAT scores. After completing 15 hours of Concord University course credit, a non-matriculated/special student will be subject to regular student academic requirements.

Provisional and Probational Admission

Freshmen admitted on a provisional basis and transfer/readmit students admitted on probation are required to participate in the Academic Momentum Program (AMP), which includes enrollment in UNIV 101. This program gives students the opportunity to strengthen their academic skills and improve their academic records.

Students who fail to earn a passing grade in UNIV 101 may be required to retake the course.

Readmit Students

Readmit students are defined as individuals who previously attended Concord University but have not attended another institution of higher education during their period of absence.  Any undergraduate student who sits out one or more regular semesters (fall, spring) must apply for readmission to the University. 

Transfer/Readmit students are defined as individuals who have attended another institution during their absence from Concord University.  These individuals must list on their application for admission any/all previously attended colleges/universities.  Failure to provide this information may constitute grounds for denial of admission or separation from Concord, should admission have been granted.  Students must be in good academic and social standing to return to the University.

Readmitted students may not be admitted if they are deficient twenty or more quality points.  The quality point total is cumulative for all institutions of attendance, including Concord University.  Students deficient twenty or more quality points may appeal for admission to the University.  However, completing the appeal process is no guarantee of admission and/or funding.  The Appeals Committee will review the application and required documentation in detail.  The Committee will also review the total quality point deficit; specifically attempted credit hours verses earned credit hours.  Individuals admitted through the appeals process are expected to follow the Committee's recommendations for academic and financial aid progression.  Since policy acknowledges that students must academically progress in order to receive federal funding, students with quality point deficits may not be eligible for financial aid. Therefore, the same appeal process is utilized for awarding financial aid.  Individuals who previously submitted appeals, but who failed to follow committee recommendations, will be considered out of compliance with the University's plan for improvement.  As a result, any future appeals may be negatively impacted or denied immediately upon submission. 

Online Appeal Form

  • Students with no quality point deficit may enter the University during the regular semesters (fall, spring) or summer terms (maximum 7 credit hours per term).
  • Students with any deficit less than 20 quality points may enter during the regular semesters (fall, spring) or summer terms (maximum 3-4 credit hours per term).
  • Students with a deficit of 20 or more quality points may enter the University (with Committee approval) during the regular semesters (fall, spring).  Summer readmission is not an option.

Disclaimer:  Admission to the University is no guarantee of program eligibility (Teacher Education, Athletic Training, Social Work, etc.) or financial aid eligibility. Students are responsible for consulting with program coordinators to discuss program requirements.  Students are also responsible for contacting the Financial Aid Office to determine financial aid eligibility.

Regents Bachelor of Arts Degree

Admission to the West Virginia Board of Regents Degree Program is open to students who have graduated from high school at least four years prior to their application for admission to the RBA Program. Admission to this degree program does not provide automatic admission to other programs in the University.

Click here  for further information about the RBA program.

Regular Undergraduate Admissions

Effective August 2018, Students meet the following requirements for entrance to Concord University:

  1. Overall grade-point average of at least 2.00 (C) or higher and a composite score of 18 on the American College Testing Program (ACT) or 950 on the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) for test administrations 2016 or later; 870 for test administrations prior to 2016.
  2. Completion of the required high school units listed below at an approved secondary school:

4 English (including courses in grammar, composition and literature);

3 Social Studies (including U.S. History);

4 Mathematics (three units must be Algebra 1 and higher);

3 Laboratory Science (all courses to be college preparatory laboratory science, including at least two units from biology, chemistry, and physics);

1 Arts;

2 Foreign Language (Two units of the same foreign language);

  1. Complete an application form;
  2. Send official copies of high school credentials, the results of the ACT or SAT and a satisfactory health form (after admission) to the Concord Admissions Office. Regarding the requirement and scoring of the ACT or SAT writing component, please contact the Concord University Admissions Office. Applicants for admission who have been out of high school for more than five years or who meet our established TASC or GED requirements may be exempted from the specific high school curricular requirements.

    Applications from individuals who are not high school graduates will be considered only if they have attained TASC or GED scores sufficient to qualify for the State's high school equivalency certificate or diploma (state required scores at the time of testing). Such applicants must be seventeen years of age or past the age they would have been had they remained in high school until graduation, and they must have been out of high school more than one year preceding their application.

In-state and out-of-state applicants are considered under the same admission policy.

Provisional admission may be granted in instances where institutional officials have evidence that the student has the potential to successfully complete university-level work.

Undergraduate Transfer Students

Students who wish to transfer to Concord from another institution of higher learning should apply as early as possible. The application must list any colleges or universities previously attended and the reasons for leaving each institution. Failure to provide this information may constitute grounds for denial of admission or for separation from Concord, should admission have been granted. A transfer student must provide the Admissions Office with official transcripts of all previous university or college work. The Registrar's Office will determine how many hours may be accepted , and what qualitative standards apply. Upper level courses will be reviewed by the academic department. A decision on admission will be made after a thorough evaluation of the student's record, including consideration of any deficiency in quality points represented by grades at previous institutions.

Transfer students shall not be admitted if they are deficient twenty or more quality points in their work at the institutions which they previously attended unless there are extenuating circumstances. If accepted, such students will be admitted on a probationary basis.

Except in unusual and extenuating circumstances, transfer students must have been in good academic and social standing and be eligible to return to the institution from which they are transferring unless the student has been out of school for five years.

A scale  in this Catalog outlines the maximum quality-point deficit permitted to avoid academic probation. Any student on academic probation at the university previously attended will be assigned a probationary status for at least one semester of admission at Concord, regardless of quality-point standing.

Once admitted to Concord, a student must have approval from the Registrar to transfer additional credits from other institutions.

A satisfactory health form must be submitted after admission.

Transfer students with fewer than 15 semester hours of university credits are required to attend a Concord University orientation session or course. Transfer students with fewer than 24 semester hours of credit must submit ACT or SAT scores and an official copy of their high school transcript.

Transient Students

Students seeking a degree at another institution may enroll for course work at Concord University. An appropriate transient approval form must be submitted to Concord University by the parent institution.


Concord University makes a special effort to serve veterans. Veterans should contact the Veterans' Affairs Office, located in the Financial Aid Office, prior to adding or dropping a course. Veterans must be sure that the Concord course load is not reduced below the level for which they are being paid by the Veterans Administration. They are also required to enroll in courses that count toward graduation. Failure to comply with these regulations will affect veterans' benefits, and refunds of Veterans Administration funds must be made back to the start of the semester in which the Veteran has dropped out of compliance.

Veterans may qualify for admission by achieving General Education Development (GED) test scores sufficient to qualify for the state's high school equivalency certificate or diploma. Veterans are under the same grading practices as other enrolled students.

Academic probation and academic suspension procedures are the same for all students. Persons receiving veterans' benefits must maintain satisfactory progress as outlined by law (38 USC 1674 or 1724).

A veteran must declare his or her major field of interest upon the completion of the sophomore year at the university (59 hours). Otherwise, they will not be able to make satisfactory progress toward graduation. A permanent record of the veteran's academic record is maintained by the Registrar's Office. This record is updated at the end of each semester. Veterans may check their records during posted working hours of the appropriate office or online with ELLIE. Enrolled veterans come under the same guidelines regarding conduct and conditions for dismissal for unsatisfactory conduct as other students. Classroom conduct and responsibilities are set forth in the Academic Catalog.

Students with more than one year of military service shall be granted a maximum of four semester hours as general electives in the field of physical education, of which two hours can be used to satisfy the General Education requirement. In addition to credit awarded for physical education, credit may be awarded upon evaluation of the Army American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) or the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART) military transcripts.  Veterans should submit the AARTS or SMART transcript by requesting that an official copy be mailed to the Concord University Office of Admissions and Financial Aid directly from the issuing agency.